Associate – Impact Evaluation
India has become the 5th largest economy in the world, but 500 million are “poor” (using
Government metrics) and 145 million live below the poverty line. This inequity is unacceptable.
About 3.4% of our annual budget or 0.28% of the income of the top 1% of our population would lift
everybody above the poverty line.
The/Nudge Foundation exists to alleviate poverty. We are a collective of some ofIndia’s best leaders
and entrepreneurs from across industry, academia, government, and the development sector,
passionately working on ways to address poverty sustainably and at scale.
In the five years since our inception, we have worked on a range of initiatives including developing
innovative programs that enable underprivileged youth to lead flourishing lives, adapting evidence-
based approaches to enable rural families to come out of extreme poverty, and incubating 60+ non-
profits focused on solving India’s biggest challenges. We have also used the knowledge and networks
developed through our work to impact policy, address ecosystem barriers and launch scale
We are now building on our capabilities and work to embark on an ambitious effort to nurture six to
eight “social transformations” (i.e., using effective solutions to create pathways to scale that address
the underlying problem; examples of such transformations include microfinance and the white
revolution). These transformations (or “programs” as we call them) will be anchored in “centers”
which will provide domain expertise, connection to the broader ecosystem and thought partnership.
The centers will also be thought leaders in their space and influence the broader ecosystem
(including policy and practice). There will also be horizontal teams, e.g., Impact & Evaluation,
Technology, and Data & Insights, that all the programs and centers will use. These teams will also be
seen as exemplars in their space and will influence the broader ecosystem.
The Spirit of The/Nudge
Honesty towards our purpose | Empathy towards others | Continuous innovation |
Focused on scale | Impatience towards our goals
Role & Responsibilities
As a member of the Impact Evaluation team, you will be undertaking the following activities:
● Collaborate with the Centers and Programs to create, validate or refine their Impact strategy and
Theory of Change.
● Define the monitoring and evaluation framework for each program including metrics and what is
driving/hindering data collection.
● Drive evaluation (including third party and multi-player evaluation). The focus will be deep
understanding of the outcomes to generate insights to help refine/enhance the work on the ground.
The team will involve external stakeholders to make this most effective.
● Create and periodically enhance quality core (macroeconomic, demographic) data depository that
helps form the basis for program design and impact assessment for programs focused on livelihoods,
rural development etc.
● Support the wider organization in thinking through and integrating (where relevant and possible)
cross-cutting areas like gender, empowerment, SDGs, etc.
● Integral member of a team that is seen as a thought leader in the “Impact evaluation” space and
influences it (from policy to practice) through a deep understanding of the practitioners’ perspective
rather than an academic point of view.
● Master’s or Bachelor’s degree (focus on developmental studies, public policy or rural development
is a plus).
● Up to 5 years of experience in the development sector, ideally combined with 1-3 years of field
work experience in India or other developing countries.
● Strong analytical and synthesis skills; experience in collecting and processing large raw datasets to
provide a basis for quality analysis. Prior experience in working with data frameworks from UN,
World Bank, NSSO, RBI is a plus.
● Working experience and expertise with data analysis applications: R, SPSS, STATA, Tableau etc
● Able to apply the knowledge of theoretical frameworks to practical situations.
● Enjoys the challenge of working in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
● Strong communication skills and proven record of working well in teams.
● Has a strong desire to make a difference and passionate about solving hard problems.
● Is comfortable with non-profit sector salaries.